Monday, February 23, 2009

Blueberry Pumpkin Muffins

Sometimes, when I get bored in the kitchen, I do recipe searches on allrecipes for random ingredients that I just so happen to have in the cabinet. Over the weekend, I did a search for blueberries and canned pumpkin. That's how I stumbled upon Blueberry Pumpkin Muffins. The combination didn't sound all that appetizing to me, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway. And, I must say, they turned out pretty good. Although, the hub didn't care for the texture (I think it was the oats that got him). After reading several of the reviews, I think next time I will try it with whole wheat flour and do half brown, half white sugars. If you want to give it a go, check this out.

Blueberry Pumpkin Muffins
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
2/3 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed
Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease and flour muffin pan or use paper liners. Mix the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a mixing bowl until evenly blended. In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin, milk, egg and butter. Gradually stir in the flour mixture, just until all ingredients are moistened. Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling to the top. Bake in preheated oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes. Makes a dozen muffins.

2 comments:

Sydney said...

Strangely...I have a very similar recipe in one of my cookbooks. You also use pureed tinned peaches - mainly for moisture...you can't taste the peaches [a little sweetness only].

Jackie said...

I am going to have to check this website out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails