Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pico de Gallo

While my hub and I were perusing the produce at the store on Sunday, we decided that we needed to make some pico de gallo. I've never made it before, but we absolutely love the stuff they have at Applebee's. So, when I got home, I got to googling and stumbled upon several knock-off recipes. There were slight variations, but this was the basic recipe.

Pico de Gallo
3 large tomatoes, diced
1 large onion, diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, diced
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. white vinegar
Directions: Mix ingredients until well blended. Allow to sit for at least 6 hours (but it's even better if you let it sit overnight). Serve with tortilla chips.

Now, I know what you're probably thinking. Where's the spice? My pico de gallo needs a little bit of a kick! Well, there's no "kick" in the above recipe because we didn't have any peppers at home and I wasn't about to go back to the store. The recipe actually also calls for 2 tbs. diced jalapenos. But, it was great without it, too. It was like a really flavorful, chunky salsa without all the added stuff that comes with it in a jar from the store. Yum!

It makes me yearn for summer...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails