Monday, March 9, 2009

Spinach Manicotti

I've not mentioned it on here yet, but I started Weight Watchers about a week ago and have been trying new, low-point meals throughout the week. I made this Spinach Manicotti last night for dinner and it was really good. Even the hub, who isn't a big pasta fan like me, liked it a lot. So, whether or not you're watching your waistline, try these out. If you like cheese and spinach, you won't be disappointed.

Spinach Manicotti
Courtesy of Weightwatchers.com
1 1/2 cup bottle reduced-fat bottled pasta sauce
Cooking spray
1 large egg white
1 large egg
10 oz. frozen spinach, chopped
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. table salt
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
8 dry manicotti shells
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and rinse. Combine cheeses, eggs, spinach, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt in a medium bowl, stirring well. Spoon mixture evenly into pasta shells (or do like I did and put it in a sealable plastic bag with a small hole cut in the corner and pipe the filling in). Place shells in an 11x7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon pasta sauce evenly over shells. Cover and bake for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve warm. Yields 8 servings (1 shell and sauce).  5 points per serving.

5 comments:

Jen said...

wow, good luck on WW. I've been a member since January. It works! I look forward to more of your low point recipe reviews!

Sydney said...

Weight Watchers? But you are a thin little thing! Also, I thought Weight Watchers was all pre-prepared meals? Maybe that's something else...I see a lot of ads on TV for them!

Jen S. said...

Thanks for the well wishes, Jen! I'm glad to hear you're getting good results. And thanks for the compliment, Sydney, but I'm pretty strategic about the pictures of myself that I post, haha. To give you an idea of what I mean, when I worked as a hostess in a restaurant years ago, a patron rather loudly said to me, "Dang, girl! Where'd you get those hips?!" I told him I got them from my momma, haha. So, yeah. I think WW has some frozen meals, but they have hundreds of recipes on their site that actually don't taste like "diet food." This recipe was especially good!

Sydney said...

I get it. I'm quite hippy myself...which I think looks ridiculous on my small stature...but there doesn't seem to be much to lose there - it's all bone! I've been stuck @ the same weight for over five years now.

I cook low fat a lot. My first cookbook was a low fat one that I stole from my mum. Joseph is very picky about low-fat food and he never knows when I cook from these cookbooks [it's the same two women - they've created a mini-empire of low fat cookbooks/shows here]...except that it tastes awesome! I dunno if they are available in America, but the authors are sisters - Greta and Janet Podeleski.

Jen S. said...

Thanks for the idea, Sydney. I'm going to look them up and see what I can find. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails