Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Powder Room

The other day, I got it in my head that a change needed to take place in the bathroom. Our apartment is pretty tiny and there's not much space to work with, but it's amazing what a spin of the color wheel can do for ya.

Before:
We don't have a linen closet, so those baskets in the back hold our extra towels. The rugs used to match the green tub in our old apartment. The tub was that not-so-pretty 1970's-era green that seems to have been a prominent color choice of that time (also the time when all of the apartments that we've lived in were constructed). Believe or not, embracing the green, which I like to call "weedy green," in our last place actually made it a little less harsh on the eyes. But, we now have a normal white shower and we were overdue for a change.

After:
I got those baskets outta there! They were just taking up space. And since we rarely have overnight guests, there really isn't a need to keep them in there. I swapped out the green rug for a light grey one and I love it! I put some candles that can be seen in the below "before" photo on top of the stool, in case all this decorating sparks the need for a bubble bath. I'm looking for something to hang on the wall, but until then...

Before:
Moving on to the mess that was my bathroom shelf... The top shelf previously held the now-moved candles. Like the rugs, they kind of went with the set-up of our old place, but I just threw them up there with the intention of replacing them when we were unpacking, but never got around to it. The middle basket was the catch-all. Straightener? Check. Hair dryer? Check. Curling iron? Check. Hair clips? Check. You get the idea. A few problems with this method of storage... Everything didn't really fit. Plus, the basket had a pink liner that didn't match anything at all. Not working. Finally, the bottom shelf. I love those tea tins. I collected a few of them when I was working at a coffee shop in college and they've served as excellent storage containers ever since the hub and I got married. But, the Febreeze and mouthwash were really taking away from the cuteness that is those tea tins. So, into the vanity, they went!

After:
Yay! I love how simple and clean this looks. I took the pink liner off of the white basket, moved it to the top and filled it with rolled white washcloths. After looking all over for something that would work for me, I found this white organizer in the office supply section. Perfect fit! I also spotted this wicker tray, which the tea tins fit in nicely. I bought it with the intention of painting it white, but I can't tell now if I like it as-is. How about you?

Before:
Old tissue box cover + big bottle of lotion = not so pretty.

After:
I ditched the tissue and put this picture in a little white frame on the vanity.
(I smell a theme...)

Before:
Weedy green hand towel and bare white wall.
Something about this is sad...

After:
So, let's make it happy!
I asked for & received this calendar for Christmas. I requested it with the intention of having Charley Harper hanging in my apartment, within my budget. So, I bought a few frames, cut up my calendar and got to hammering. I know it's probably not the kind of thing that one would usually see hanging in a bathroom. But, then again, what exactly is "bathroom art?"

And, you know what?
I. Love. Charley.
You might say that I'm smitten even.

All in all, I am really pleased with everything and I think it looks approximately 1 trillions times better (not to toot my own horn or anything...)! And on a budget, too!

Rugs = $20
Hand towel/washcloths = $9
Frames = $13
Office organizer = $6
Wicker tray = $3
Grand total = $51-ish (tax, you know...)

I got the white washcloths at the dollar store (since they'll probably be mostly for show). I got the frames there, too. They are actually brown and I just sponge-painted them with a bit of white. And I love, love, love the office organizer. I don't think I could have created something more suited to my need. It's amazing the luck you can have in the most unexpected of places. Now, I just need to find a place somewhere else in the apt. for those baskets...

PS-The cardinal is my absolute fav.

2 comments:

Crystal Chick said...

As I was looking at the artwork, I was going to ask who it was by. I love it!! Thanks for sharing!

Sydney said...

You keep saying your apartment is tiny...my apartment is microscopic in comparison! My kitchen is the size of your bathroom and my bathroom is barely there.

This looks fantastic!

Related Posts with Thumbnails