Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fun with Vinyl

I am seriously excited about hosting a guest blogger today. I might be even more pumped that the hub is said guest blogger. And I'm a little bit giddy about the project that he came up with. Nothing warms my heart quite like the hub holing up in the office for a night of crafty fun. :)

Take it away, hub!

Hey everyone! For those of you who don't know me, my name is Nate, and I'm 'the hub' that Jen is always mentioning in her posts. Jen asked me to do a guest spot for her which is a little out of my comfort zone, but I decided to be a good sport and comply. So, without further ado, I'd like to present you all with a little project that came to me after a day of hitting up the local garage sale scene.

1) Find a cool vinyl record that you don't mind destroying. I used a double album of Handel's "Messiah" that I found at a garage sale. Ideally, you'll use an album with a jacket that has some sort of aesthetic value.

2) Take a couple of pics to use for your silhouette. I decided to go with silhouette's of Jen and myself.

Jen

Nate

3) From here, you'll want to print the photos and cut out the silhouette so that you can transfer them onto the vinyl. I used some white acrylic paint to get a nice contrast around the outline (which makes life much easier once you start cutting). I opted to have the paper portion of the album slightly off center, but that's really just a matter of taste.


4) Once you've reached this point, you're ready to start cutting. In order to get the proper cut, you'll need to use a wood-burning kit. Make sure that you get one with a very fine tip, especially if you're cutting an image with a lot of detail. You'll want to make sure you cut slowly so as to make sure you're getting a clean cut. Also, be sure to have a fan or an open window nearby as vinyl can give off some harmful fumes.


5) After the images are cut, you'll need to clean them up quite a bit. I used a woodcarving knife to cut off the leftover flash from the melted vinyl. Then, I used the hot tip of a glue gun to smooth some of the rough edges. The glue gun doesn't get as hot as the wood-burning pen so you don't have to worry too much about distorting the image. (You should, however, be aware that this will leave a good amount of vinyl melted to the gun, so you should use one that you don't mind replacing.)




6) Once you've finished this, you're home free. You'll need to buy a record frame (I found one at Wal-Mart for $6) to mount everything in. In my case, the inside cover of the album had a better look to it than the front cover, so I used that instead. Whatever your choice, just cut that portion of the album sleeve that you'll be using.

7) Next, arrange your cutouts on top of the album cover and glue them in place (I used super glue). Mount everything in your frame, and you're good to go! Here's what I came up with...



For you music purists who believe that all music should be enjoyed on vinyl and that digital music is largely garbage, you might want to steer clear of this one. But, for the rest of you, this makes for a fun, hipster way to display your vinyl. It also makes for a great conversation piece. Have fun everyone!

Thanks for the post, hub. You're the absolute best! I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. And keep your eyes peeled for future guest spots. Some skilled friends have offered to write up a few posts and I couldn't be more excited!

7 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Holy crap, that's awesome! Good job, Nate!

MarySew said...

that looks sooo awesome!

maggie grace said...

that's freakin awesome! good job, nate!

Stella Pearl said...

This is so original. I love your style!

Emily said...

Awesome take on the sillhouette idea that is so popular right now. I love the off-center record "center" in the images- it adds great contrast. And with garage sales abound this summer, a super cheap idea that looks great! Super job, hubs!

leigh thomas said...

if this were facebook, i would hit the "like" button.

Unknown said...

What brand burner do you operate with?

Related Posts with Thumbnails