Sunday, August 29, 2010

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

The hub has been giving becoming a vegan some serious thought. I'm not totally sold on the idea & our compromise has been to have at least 3 "vegan days" per week. I've been on the hunt for a good vegan dessert recipe and these chocolate cupcakes really hit the spot. The hub said he wouldn't have even noticed that they were vegan if I hadn't said anything. I made a chocolate glaze to top these with, which was good, but a bit messy. I might try some frosting next time. All in all, though, two thumbs up!
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 cup water
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth. Pour batter into 12 lined muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven & allow to cool.

Sift together 1 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Add warm water, tablespoon by tablespoon, until the glaze reaches your desired consistency.

After the cupcakes have cooled (I actually refrigerated them for a while), carefully dip the tops in the glaze and refrigerate to set. I repeated this step for double-dipped cupcakes. :)

5 comments:

Angela said...

They really do look good!

Crystal Chick said...

That looks delicious!

Next time just add a little less water to your glaze to thicken it up a bit. (or if you add too much water, compensate by adding more xx sugar or cocoa)

Laurie Krause said...

Hey Jen, it's Laurie K...So I've been stalking your blog for awhile now and I love it! Just thought I'd add my little vegan advice. I made vegan chocolate cupcakes recently with chocolate cake mix (cheating, I know), a can of pumpkin, and 2/3 cups water. Bake for 2-25-ish minutes and frost w/glaze that I made from 4 cups powdered sugar and 1/4 cup orange juice. The glaze was really sweet, so it only took a little bit. They taste almost like gingerbread...delicious.

Jen said...

Thanks for the tips, Crystal & Laurie! :)

Matthew said...

Have you guys discovered Earth Balance. Vegan butter! And it's actually goooood!

Related Posts with Thumbnails