Monday, November 15, 2010

An Early Thanksgiving

We are doing Thanksgiving with the hub's family this year. So, my meat-and-potatoes family made the trip from Illinois to Michigan for an early Thanksgiving this past weekend. They were a little nervous at the thought of having a vegetarian Thanksgiving, but it went off without a hitch! (They even tried tofu while they were here!) And we got to test out a few new recipes that will definitely be making the regular rotation. Enjoy!


The Menu:
lentil loaf, mashed potatoes, cornbake, green bean casserole, cornbread stuffing, veggies, salad, rolls, and banana pudding & pumpkin pie for dessert! Plus, we had a variety of yummy appetizers sitting out before the meal, including spinach dip, a cheese ball, crackers, Chex mix, ya know, the usual appetizery goodness.


For the main dish, we tried out this lentil loaf and it was so yuuuummm. I followed the recipe exactly (besides putting a bit of BBQ on top) & it came out a little dry. Next time, I'll at least double the amount of crushed tomatoes. I had some of it cold the next day & I bet it would make an excellent meatloaf-type sandwich.

And since Thanksgiving just isn't Thanksgiving without good old fashioned pumpkin pie...
we had some of that, too!


But, we used this recipe, which incorporated tofu. I used soft tofu for one pie & it was perfect. I used silken tofu for the other & it was good, but the texture was a little bit off. (The above photo was the silken tofu.) Additionally, I used 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice and 1 teaspoon cinnamon for the spices. This was so easy & yummy that we'd be crazy not to make it again. For realz.

I think our first vegetarian Thanksgiving was a success & I'm super excited to try the new recipes again soon. What about you, friends? What dish on the table makes Thanksgiving Thanksgiving for you?

For me, it's the cornbake. :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails