Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cinnamon Almond Rice Pudding

The hub & I volunteer at the food pantry at our church on a bi-weekly basis & reeeally love it. A few months ago, I was asked to head up a kind of life skills table there (that we've since dubbed the "Cook's Corner") to demonstrate good ways to use the items that were being distributed. So I, along with a good friend, whip up a new dish every other week using at least one thing that is being passed out that day for people to sample and take home recipe cards to try it for themselves. We've had an over abundance of rice recently & I was asked to come up with something to use it in for the next pantry. Someone suggested rice pudding & I realized that I had never had homemade rice pudding! Crazy. Just crazy. So, I thought I'd try some out tonight. This is a quick & easy kind of version, but it sounded too good to pass up! Plus, I already had everything on hand. I'll probably do a recipe that uses staples like regular milk & sugar for the pantry just to be sure that most people will be able to try it for themselves with what they already have in their cabinets. But, this version was really good. And perfect for a cold winter's night!


3/4 cup cooked rice
3/4 cup almond milk (I used vanilla)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
sliced almonds
honey
Directions: Combine rice, almond milk, and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Turn heat to medium and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 4 to 5 minutes, until milk is thicker and rice is a bit creamy. To serve, place in a bowl, top with almonds & drizzle with honey.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails