Saturday, December 4, 2010

Vegetarian Lasanga

My awesome mom-in-law has been hosting family dinners once a week and is kind enough to make vegetarian-friendly dishes for us to enjoy. She made this vegetarian lasagna a while back and it was so very good that I had to get the recipe & try it for myself. I'm not a huge black bean fan, but this is seriously goood. The last time I made it, I went ahead & whipped up a second pan to freeze & cook later. I realize that the photo probably isn't the most appetizing thing that you've ever seen, but you'll just have to trust me on this one...

Black Bean Lasagna
from Reader's Digest
9 lasagna noodles
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. oil
2 16-oz. cans black beans, rinsed & drained
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 6-oz. cans tomato paste
1 cup water
2 tbs. minced cilantro
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 egg whites, beaten
1 15-oz. carton of reduced fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (I don't think that I used quite that much)
2 8-oz. cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese blend
Directions: Cook noodles according to package (or use no-boil noodles like I did). Over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in oil until tender.  Add beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, cilantro, and pepper flakes.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened.  In a small bowl, combine egg whites, ricotta, Parmesan, and parsley.  Drain noodles. Spread 1/2 cup bean mixture into a 13x9-inch pan coated with cooking spray.  Layer with three noodles, a third of the ricotta mixture, a third of remaining bean mixture, and 2/3 cup of cheese blend.  Repeat layers twice.  Cover & bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.  Uncover & bake10 to 15 minutes longer, or until bubbly.  Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails