Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Faux Fish Fillets

I have been craving fish & chips in the worst way lately. So, I was super excited when I stumbled upon this recipe for faux fish fillets. The hub was a total sweetheart and made them for dinner tonight & they were really good! We had them with a bit of mayo & ketchup. I'd add some lettuce for a bit of crunch next time, but that's all I'd change. Mmmm!
1 (12-oz.) package firm tofu, drained & pressed
(we froze & thawed ours first for a meatier texture.)
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp. kelp powder (I used Old Bay seasoning)
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. paprika
Olive oil, as needed
4 hamburger buns
Directions: Cut the tofu into 4 slices. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, toss bread crumbs together with kelp powder, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, and salt (I'd reduce the salt by half next time.). Brush tofu slices with oil and dip into bread crumb mixture, patting lightly to coat well. Pan fry in a bit of olive oil or bake on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes. When first side is golden brown and slightly crispy, turn over, and finish baking. When the tofu is nearly done, brush each bun half with olive oil and toast in the oven. Put the tofu on the buns when done & top with whatever you like!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails