Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Portobello Burger

I have never been a fan of mushrooms.

For as long as I can remember, the texture has just done me in. Slowly, I've been conditioning myself not to pick them out of every dish that they find their way into, but I'm still working on it. So, when the hub suggested picking up some portobello mushrooms for burgers at the market the other day, I was a wee bit hesitant and totally intimidated by the enormity of them. We went ahead & threw them in the cart with the understanding that I would probably not be partaking. And that was that.

And...
 it turned out to be one of a handful of times that I am glad I was wrong.

2 portobello mushroom caps
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp.dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tbs. minced garlic
Sliced cheese, optional
Directions: Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, and garlic. Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes, turning twice. Plug in your Foreman grill to preheat. When mushrooms are done marinating, spray the grill with cooking spray & throw the mushrooms on the grill. They only need a couple of minutes, so keep a close eye on them. If desired, top with cheese towards the end of cooking until melted.

The handful of changes we made to the original recipe are reflected above. Overall, super good! And they really didn't end up having too much of a mushroom texture. I might cut back a little on the balsamic vinegar next time, as it was a little bit strong, but we'll definitely be making these again. Mmmm!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails