Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Baby Blanket

It occurred to me recently that I never got around to making my sweet lil' niece a baby blanket. I made one for my nephew before he was even born, but my already one-year-old niece wasn't so lucky. And with nephew #2 set to arrive any day now, I realized that I was quickly running out of time.


Instead of knitting this one, I decided to do something a little different. Working with what was on hand (some old, soft knit shirts), I the hub cut out wide strips of fabric (I'm having a hard time remembering the exact measurements off the top of my head, sorry!). There had to be a seam right down the middle in order for things to match up, but once I had each side assembled, it was just a matter of sewing them (right sides together) and leaving a small opening to turn it right side out (which I later topstitched in a coordinating thread).


You may or may not be able to tell that I then topstitched a wavy stitch across every other horizontal seam to hold it all together. Unfortunately, the back didn't exactly match up & the wavy stitches are kind of sitting on top of the seam instead of going across it, but that's okay. I'm happy that at least one side looks okay considering that I was totally winging this one.


And, the final product!

This really didn't take me very long to put together. I think I might have spent two evenings at the sewing machine (although I'm certain I could have done it in one had I put my mind to it).
And while I thought that it was going to be thin due to a lack of batting, it actually ended up having some weight to it. In any case, it's super soft & I hope my niece enjoys cuddling up to it.

Now, to work on blanket #3...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails