Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lamp Makeover

As I previously mentioned, we had a garage sale recently in preparation for our upcoming move. And when the lamps that we had priced low didn't sell, I was secretly happy about it because halfway through the garage sale, it occurred to me that simply re-covering the bases could breathe a new life into the lamps that have clashed with the colors in our bedroom for the past several years. We pitched the old, broken shades, which we'll get around to replacing at some point, and got to work. (Apologies in advance for the poor photo quality. That's nighttime crafting for ya!)

Before.

Close-up.

The hub measured the base and cut out a rectangle of fabric, leaving a 1/2-inch allowance on each side. After ironing down the 1/2-inch on each side, I carefully hot glued the fabric along the edge of the lamp, tugging somewhat as I went along to smooth out wrinkles or bunches in the fabric.

Like so.
(By the way, I ended up just pulling the fabric over the cord instead of trying to cut/glue around it. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's really not too bad, especially since that part will be facing the wall anyway.)

And, voila!
It took a little bit of time to figure out the pattern since it has to be so exact, but the second lamp base was done in no time at all. The look wasn't as smooth as I was hoping it would be, but with the base having such a texture on it to begin with, I kind of expected that. All in all, though, I'm pretty happy with it. To finish it up, I just pulled the fabric tight and glued along the seam.

After.

Now, we just have to find some lampshades that work & we'll be all set!

2 comments:

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Great "upcycled" idea!

Jaclyn said...

Love this!! Outstanding idea, Jen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails