Monday, September 5, 2011

Chair Makeovers

Before the hub & I made the big move from Michigan to Louisiana, we decided to sell most of our furniture/heavy stuff because once we had arrived, it would just be the two of us unloading the moving truck (& let's face it, I'm not very strong). Buuut, we didn't want that to mean that we wouldn't have anything to sit on once we had arrived. So, after selling a bulky couch, we went hunting for a pair of smaller, lightweight chairs that could take it's place.

We found just what we were looking for at a thrift store in town in these two bad boys. They conjure up an image of a doctor's waiting room, no? They were pretty beat up/gross, but we wanted to try our hand at fixing them up & at $1 each, there was little risk involved. So, we went for it!

After stripping all of the old upholstery/padding, we cleaned up the wooden base just a little bit by running a damp cloth over everything & sanding town a few spots that needed it. Then, we got to painting! We used a grey spray paint primer before painting it with two coats of a navy blue spray paint. Unfortunately, the color didn't end up as dark as we would have liked & we ended up priming & painting them a second time in a different color (scroll down to the end if you can't wait for the big reveal).

We used 2-inch padding, which we cut out & stapled to the seat & back of the chair. Note that the padding goes slightly around the front of the seat. Basically, we just made a mental note of how the padding was stapled in the chair's original form & tried our best to duplicate it.

This is what the bottom of one of the seats looked like when we were done with the padding. We did notice that some of the staples had popped through the padding and out the underside of the seat. So, we hammered them down wherever we found them so they wouldn't be sticking out.

And the top of the seat (better to overstaple than under!).

Next came the batting. In hindsight, we should have pulled it towards the center a bit more on the seats.

When the padding & batting was finished, this is what we had:
2 backs & 2 seats.

As was the case with the batting, we should have pulled the fabric further towards the center on the seats...lesson learned.

Once the fabric was stapled down, we stapled a square of interfacing on the underside of the seat to cover everything.

For the backs, I sewed a slipcover of sorts from the fabric, leaving the bottom open for stapling.

The first cushion is the top of the back. The second cushion is the bottom. After stapling the opening shut, it looked a little less than perfect. So, we measured out a strip of fabric, ironed down the edges & hot glued it in place. Totally not how it's supposed to be done, I know, but it worked (& since it's on the bottom, no one will see it anyway)! The two gatherings of the fabric at the bottom were intentional.

A closer look at the bottom & top of the back cushions.

After that, we reassembled them & were super happy with the end result!

As you can see, we decided to go with grey for the base, which worked out much better than the blue that clashed with the fabric. In the end, I'm glad that we invested the extra time in repainting it because it really works well with the new blue/grey/yellow color scheme in our living room.

And, that's it! We're just a pair of novices attempting reupholstery/refurbishing, but I'll go ahead & pat us on the back for this one because I think we did just fine. :)

2 comments:

Kate @ Suburban Sweetheart said...

These are so cute! I'm way impressed.

Jen said...

Thanks so much! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails